We're Power Rangers?
And true to form, there was much eye rolling during the POWER RANGERS feature film as well. This movie is epically bad, and I mean that in the best possible way. The dialogue is downright awful, the characters' backstory is crammed down our throats, the rag-tag, shakey camera angles are horrific at times, and the movie takes a good 45 plus minutes to settle into something that resembles the POWER RANGERS. But this movie is the Power Rangers at its very core.
Underneath all the insanity and heavy handed story, there are some endearing moments, decent humor, and a huge nostalgic link to the source material. This movie didn't stray too far from its roots, and for that reason I think the diehard fans will still enjoy this adaptation. And despite the rough around the edges feel of this film, the one thing they got glaringly right was Rita. Elizabeth Banks stole the show on this one. She was Rita to her very core, and every scene she was in was pure gold (pun intended). Banks was deliciously evil, crazed, and downright fantastic. I'd pay to see a whole movie just about Rita Repulsa.
All the ridiculousness aside, there is one other major pro for this movie and that was the diverse representation in the characters. They've formed a solid group of teens who showed so many angles and views in the world today. We got everything from different ethnicities, gender and sexual identifications, and even a Ranger who is on the autism spectrum. Power Rangers was always about a group of kids, from all different walks of life, coming together to share a common goal, and that's one thing the movie did make happen.
And for a long time fan, even a closet one, this adaptation is still one to check out, even if it only lives up to a 3.5 / 5.
(image courtesy ComicBook.com)
More by this author
- Classic Jazz Needed For Large Film By Working Title
- $8 - $10k - Authentic 70s/80s Rebel Tracks Needed For International Film
- $8 - $10k - Authentic 60s R&B/Soul Needed For International Film
- $8k - $10k - Authentic 40s / 50s Christmas / Love Songs For International Film
- Looking for Uptempo Modern Pop with Real Instrumentals for Top 40 UK Female Artist
- Looking for Artists and Bands to Sign to Indie Label
- URGENT: £100 Female R&B Singer who can Rap Needed for Remote Work
- Looking for Remix Producer to Enhance Recording
- URGENT! Songwriters for EDM/Deep House/Pop Dance Songs
- Looking for Violinist/Cellist
- URGENT! Producers for EDM/Deep/Electro House "Soundalike" Instrumentals
- Looking for Lyricist/Songwriter to write and record jazz verses.
- Looking for a bass player and a Keyboard player to record a song
- Organic Sound Design with Negative Space Needed for Trailer Company
- Contemporary R&B/Pop Needed for Major Label American Artist